Saturday, October 26, 2013

2nd Toe Metatarsal Stress Fracture: 2nd doctor visit

"Here comes the sun, and I say it's alright"
 - The Beatles
Two weeks ago, I went to see Dr. Gary Evans to check on how my 2nd toe metatarsal stress fracture was progressing after three straight weeks of no running. Aside from pulling my hair out and just about losing my sanity, I can say I am doing surprisingly well.

You can see in the pictures below that I have a pretty bad 2nd toe metatarsal stress fracture because it was chipping away near the base. I suspect my fracture was caused by many factors, but mainly due to the following:
  • female athlete triad - I've been seeing nutritionists, an internist, and just got a bone density scan for this. Will update in future posts.
  • overtraining - I'm hoping blogging will be a good outlet to remind me about moderation.
  • lack of sleep / insufficient rest 

I was in so much pain for the first two days after hammering through my 1 mile race with the stress fracture that the only  thing to keep myself from crying at the office was Advil. After reading a few articles and books about how NSAIDs slow down healing, I stopped taking it.

First podiatrist visit. You can see my home remedy with KT tape and colorful DUCK tape. Anddd beautiful recovering runner's toe.

      
First doctor visit. X-ray shows a serious 2nd toe metatarsal stress fracture near the base.

Second doctor visit 3 weeks afterward. X-ray shows bone callus forming around the fracture.

.
Thank goodness for the Walking Boot. I really cannot imagine how else I would have been able to go to work for the first 7 days without this boot and the air cast I wear inside. My foot was so swollen my toes had curled under and I could't even place a bit of weight on it.


Ditched the heavy Walking Boot for this lightweight shoe inch tall Walking Shoe. Still kept on the Aircast just to be safe.


No comments:

Post a Comment